SCHOOL OFFICE ASSISTANT - GILILLAND
Assist school office, professional staff and departments with a variety of typing, recordkeeping,
attendance, data entry, and other clerical duties. Welcome and provide assistance and information to the
parents, students, visitors, volunteers, and staff.
1. Education and/or experience equivalent to a High School Diploma or GED
2. One (1) year of general office clerical experience
3. Typing speed of 40 words per minute (preferred)
4. Some positions may require fluency in Spanish
5. Some positions may require a valid Driver’s License
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act,
may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list is
ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities performed by
incumbents of this class.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIITIES:
- Provide public relations support to office staff by dealing in person and by telephone with parents,
students, visitors, volunteers, and staff.
- Receive and record daily student attendance and enter attendance data into informational
- Track attendance and truancy and contact parents of absent children.
- Input data into computer and run data.
- Prepare new student packets, register new students and ensure all records are available as
- Maintain all aspects of student registration and files including paper and electronic records.
- Maintain student files and forward copies to new school when transferring.
- Contact Attendance Officer regarding truant students and provide appropriate documentation
- Respond to telephone calls dealing with discipline and attendance issues.
- Process lunch program applications.
- Assist with the mailing of report cards and other documents.
- Process lunch fees, activity funds, and other related monetary duties.
- Dispense medications to students when nurse is absent.
- May translate for Spanish speaking parents.
- Assume duties in absence of School Office Manager and/or Office Clerk.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
? Knowledge of District attendance, registration, and record keeping policies and procedures
? Knowledge of customer service/public relations methods, practices and procedures
? Knowledge of interpreting and translating verbal and written English to Spanish preferred
? Knowledge of computer applications related to assignment including Genesis, MUNIS, Smartfind.
? Skill utilizing verbal and written communication skills to correspond with or provide information to a
culturally diverse population
? Skill utilizing customer service/public relations skills in responding to requests, inquiries and
? Skill maintaining, updating and retrieving information related to student attendance, registration,
tracking and withdrawals
? Skill maintaining confidential files and records
? Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
? Skill in caring for ill children in absence of nurse
General office environment with extensive student and public contact
Repetitive motion and eye strain through extensive utilization of computer hardware and software.
May require lifting materials and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds
Principal or other Department Managers or higher level Supervisors
Classified Personnel Evaluation